As a private investigator specialising in infidelity, I often get asked about the pitfalls of online dating sites like Ashley Madison and whether the over-50’s are particularly vulnerable (since they are not digital natives). In answer to your many questions:
- Yes, true love can happen online.
- No, the online world is not the Real World.
- Yes, there are good people out there online.
- No, not everyone is telling the whole truth online.
- Yes, there are a lot of married men and women on these sites (pretending to be single).
- No, you should never give money to someone you don’t know and have met online, no matter what sob-story they tell you.
- Yes, men and women are different online too: men give love to get sex, women give sex to get love.
- No, you shouldn’t expect perfection.
- Yes, by now you should know what you are looking for.
- No, you shouldn’t settle. You should never try and fix someone by going out with them.
- Yes, you should be careful online: keep your wits about you and don’t trust someone until you can verify what they are saying is true.
And remember…if you have any doubts, trust your gut instincts!